Hola foodie friends!
How are you? I have to confess, my current state is just shy of nirvana. I’m enjoying a spontaneous day off of work and soaking up every drop of it. Ferris Bueller ain’t got nothin’ on me. Well, maybe some sophisticated hooky theatrics and a more beguiling sense of rebelliousness. But hey, if my 2nd graders read this, they might demand I sit out at recess or eat lunch in the principal’s office or something equally as terrifying.
You better not tell. Promise?!
Meanwhile, it’s January 24th and currently 75 degrees here in Austin, so you better believe I sipped my iced almond milk latte on a sunny outdoor patio this morning (at Cenote) then moseyed over downtown to meet my husband for a leisurely lunch at 2nd Bar + Kitchen. A rare treat for me considering my typical lunch “hour” is a daily 20 minute drill of sprinting to the restroom while my leftovers are heating up, then scarfing down food like a hungry 15 year old boy. This isn’t martyrdom, I promise. It’s factual yet also wonderful because otherwise, I wouldn’t be marveling (with almost disgusting ebullience) over seemingly ordinary days like today.
And today, well, I’ve felt like a wide-eyed tourist in my own town, giddy at the novelty of real adult humans lounging and chatting over iced tea long after a server had retired their empty plates, once brimming with vibrant salads and hand cut sweet potato chips. Today has reignited a special rinconcito in my heart for Spain, a place where I fell in the love with the art of simply being and enjoying one another’s company over a great meal. And if I weren’t bouncing around town, these savory crab salad stuffed avocados would be just the thing for a happy occasion such as, well…today!
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 lb jumbo lump crab meat, picked over for shells and shredded
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- a drizzle high quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- sea salt
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- sprouts (radish, sunflower, onion)
- pine nuts
- Cut avocados in half and scoop out seeds and a little bit of the flesh in each one.
- Mix together the crab, creme fraiche, olive oil, vinegar, lemon, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon crab mixture evenly into avocado halves and top with chopped tomato, sprouts and pine nuts.
- Refrigerate and serve cold with toasted bread, salad greens, or alone!