The Fourth of July is a truly beautiful holiday to me. It’s one of patriotism, of unity, and of relishing in life’s simple pleasures (namely watermelon, potato salad, cole slaw, and apple pie) with fellow patriots.
Gathering for the love of our still great country feels even more vital during times of political polarization and kerfuffling, because it propels us into remembering what is still great about our country as opposed to trying to rectify every issue, big and small. Every country has its problems, of this we can be sure, but this Fourth of July I am loudly and proudly choosing to celebrate that I am an educated, healthy, God-fearing American who is free to choose, free to love, free to be me. I am deeply grateful for all who have sacrificed and continue to do so, especially in the face of uncertainty and harm’s way. Happy 4th of July to you and yours!
- 1 bag cole slaw mix (shredded purple and green cabbage, julienned carrots
- 3-4 parsley sprigs, (leaves only) chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- ½ cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons real mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sweet vinegar (pomegranate, cherry, apple)
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower oil (or another mild oil)
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- ¼ cup - ½ cup water (depending on consistency you prefer)
- Mix first 4 ingredients together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour dressing over slaw mix and use tongs to thoroughly combine. Enjoy!