With Valentine’s Day smack dab in the middle of the week this year, I wanted to infuse a little panache into territory typically occupied by boring cereal and smoothies, weekday breakfast time.These double chocolate, banana and raspberry muffins are a simple, delicious way to do just that.
Double the recipe and share with your coworkers, neighbors, friends, children’s teachers, or even use mini muffin tins and consider your kids Valentines handled this year.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups unbleached flour
- 1 Tablespoon good quality cocoa powder (ie Valrhona)
- ½ cup raspberries (1/4 cup roughly chopped, ¼ cup whole)
- ½ cup chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups and spray nonstick cooking spray inside.
- In a large mixing bowl/bowl of a mixer, mash bananas with a fork until almost smooth. Add in sugars, eggs, butter, vanilla, espresso powder, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda and beat completely combined, on medium speed about 2 minutes if using a mixer. Add in the flour ½ cup at a time. Mix in cocoa powder.
- Add the chopped raspberries and chocolate chunks, stirring by hand, until completely combined.
- Pour batter into muffin tin ¾ of the way full. Top each muffin with a raspberry and bake for 15-17 minutes, until the center is cooked through/a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.