¡Hola amigos! Feliz Cinco de Mayo a todos. I made this yummy guacamole last Sunday for my brother-in-law’s birthday party and it was super riquísimo. Because I was out limes and cilantro and also in a pinch, I decided to toss in some fresh-squeezed orange juice, basil, diced mango and salty pepitas. (Oh lawd. Pepitas. I don’t even want to count how many of my recipes have pepitas! Shamefully addicted.) This is my new go-to guac recipe and I have a feeling it will be around for a while! Necessity is the mother of invention, what can I say? I’m even making this again with my students today because a) procedural texts b) fractions and c) por qué no?
¡Felices fiestas y buen provecho!
- 5 medium avocados, scooped out
- juice and zest of ½ an orange
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 mango, diced
- 5-6 basil leaves, thinly sliced in chiffonade
- ½ cup salted pepitas
- sea salt to taste
- cayenne to taste
- In a medium bowl, scoop out avocado halves and mash to desired texture. Squeeze in fresh orange juice. Add zest, chopped red onion, mango, basil, pepitas and stir. Salt and cayenne pepper to taste. Garnish with extra mango, basil and cayenne.