Helloooo, sweltering Texas heat. There you are, old friend. We have officially hit the triple digits and are going nowhere fast. To be frank, I personally love the heat and the slower pace that it connotes. In the summertime months, preparing dinner feels less like a race against the clock and more enjoyable and laid-back, as the golden daylight hours dance around a bit longer than usual. Because of this, I relish in longer dinnertimes and conversation, in which case, indulging in dessert in an absolute must. These Plum + Basil Butter Crisps are fantastically simple and delicious. They take hardly any time to assemble. Just stick them in the oven before dinner and serve hot or room temperature with a cold scoop of your favorite vanilla.
¡Buen provecho and happy summer!
- 5-6 ripe plums, sliced
- 4 large basil leaves, finely chopped
- 5 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- a dash of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together basil and soft (but not melted) butter until combined.
- Mix in rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt, using hands to thoroughly combine.
- Divide out the plums into the bottom of 4-6 small ramekins. Crumble mixture over the top of each ramekin.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes until the top is crisp.
- Enjoy hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!